While Sod For Homes does not provide yard preparation services at this time, we are happy to refer you to local landscapers who do. In the meantime, here are some tips to ensure your yard is prepared correctly if you choose to do the project yourself.
- Measure the area you’ll be sodding so you know how much grass you’ll need.
- Test your soil. You can purchase soil testing kits from any home improvement store or Amazon.
- Prepare your soil for sod. Make sure the area is clear of any debris, such as rocks, wood, etc. Loosen the top of the soil with a rototiller. Spread 2 inches of finished compost (this may be available for free if your town has a municipal compost center). If you have claylike soil, add 2 to 3 inches of sand improve drainage. Then, based on the results from your soil test, use a spreader to lay down the appropriate starter fertilizer, and then lime if needed.
- Level your lawn. You can add topsoil if needed.
- Use a heavy lawn roller to even out your surface.
- Now you are ready to lay your sod!